Year 9 STEM Trip to Alton Towers
Wednesday, 6 April 2022
As part of their Science Curriculum Year 9 students are about to begin a topic on Energy and Forces. In order to support and extend their learning we will be taking Year 9 to visit Alton Towers to investigate the Physics of Roller Coasters. Students will complete some research on the forces and motion of roller coasters and theme park rides and apply their research back in the classroom.
This trip will have a real STEM focus as we are asking the Maths and Design departments to also provide a number of activities that can be linked to the trip.
Arrangements are as follows: (please retain this letter for your information)
- The trip will take place on Wednesday 6th April 2022
- Students need to arrive at the Academy at 7:45am
- Coaches will depart at 8:00am to aim to arrive at Alton Towers at 10:00am
- The day will end at 3:00pm and students will return to the Academy at approximately 4:30pm
- Students are not required to wear their Academy uniform but must wear comfortable and appropriate clothing and footwear
- Students will be required to bring a packed lunch or money to purchase food, though students should be discouraged from bringing valuables or large quantities of money. We will not take any responsibility for the loss or damage of any personal property
- Students who are in receipt of Free School Meals will be provided with a packed lunch if it is required
- The cost of this trip is £14 to be paid on Parent Pay – this includes entrance to the theme park. Transport costs are being covered by the Academy,
- Children who are in receipt of Pupil Premium are not required to pay. If your child is not in receipt of Pupil Premium funding but you require some support please contact the Academy.
Attendance on this trip is dependent on a good record of behaviour, both in Science lessons and in general. Any students who do not attend will be required to remain in school and complete tasks related to the trip.
In order to confirm your child’s place on this trip you must complete the online consent form on Edulink by Thursday 24th March.
If you haven’t used Edulink before, usernames and passwords should be sent out to the email address we have on file for you.
Go to www.edulinkone.com or download the mobile app from the Android or App store.
Edulink school ID is wbca (lower case)
Full payment of £14 should be made online via ParentPay as soon as possible after that (this will only show up on Parent Pay if you need to pay for your child).
This is an excellent opportunity for your child to enhance their interest and understanding of Science, Maths and Engineering in the real world, and to support their learning back in the classroom. We would very much like all children to participate,
Miss M Gardner Miss E Lewis
Vice Principal Assistant Principal